Monday 14 February 2011

Valentine's Day

It's cliched to be cynical, but fashionable to hate it. What's a boy to do? It's interesting to note this year that most of the newspaper articles/twitter trends/multimedia guffing have been about how it's boring to hear about how much you hate Valentine's day. I'm a bit of a fence-sitter - I disagree with it on principle because I don't think you should need a day to set aside for love. True love is a never-ending celebration in itself and makes every day worth living. However, if you're in a relationship and don't engage with it you just look mean. That wasn't my reason for getting up at 5.30 this morning to surprise my beloved before work with a mixtape and poem, however; I really can't resist the opportunity to be totally cheesy and hollywood-romantic-ridiculous, like in those films they have these days, and I totally love her, so why miss the opportunity to bring it home? Obviously if you're single it can be a crushing reminder of the fact if you're not happy with it, but can also be a good opportunity to test the water with potential interests - drop them an anonymous card and see if they can tell it's you. You never know what might come of it. But if you don't want to engage with it, then don't. It can be just another day if you want it to. I know it's hard to ignore what with all the shop displays and whatnot but it can be done - I did it for a number of years before falling in love quite easily. Most of all, just don't grumble about it because some people have fun, and make all the other 364 days full of love too. To illustrate my point, here is a comic I drew:

You can also view the comic and my comic archive on my website. Happy Valentine's! Special mention must also go to Dave Gorman and his radio show for reading out my text and advising on the best course of gift action with the recommendation of a mixtape.

No comments:

Post a Comment